Chronic conditions present a strong economic incentive for action
During the past century, a major shift occurred in the leading causes of death for all age groups, including older adults, from infectious diseases and acute illnesses to chronic diseases and degenerative illnesses. More than a quarter of all Americans and two out of every three adults have two or more chronic conditions, and treatment for this population accounts for 86% of the country’s health care budget. Seven of the ten top causes of death are from the top nine chronic problems.
Nine of the top chronic conditions comprise 75% of the problems Medicare patients have. With 86% of healthcare costs going to treat chronically ill, this has become a major focus. With the aging of the US population, these chronic problems need to be managed to improve wellness and reduce the cost of care.
Medicare Chronic Care Management Opportunity
This program pays providers from $43 (billing code 99490) per patient per month to more than $94 (billing code 99487), plus now additional payments for 30 minutes and upfront comprehensive care plan ($63 per patient per year) for non face-to-face care coordination and chronic care management. Signup 500 patients and generate an average revenue of $397,000 a year. Here are the requirements of the program:
- Patient has 2 or more chronic conditions for a year, must verbally consent and consent is documented in patient’s medical record.
- Patient must have an office visit exam to start the program and documents a Care Plan.
- Provider must use a certified EHR to document problems, meds, allergies, and Care Plan with measurable treatment goals.
- Nurse or PA must spend 20 minutes per patient per month: contacting patient, coordinate care, reviewing medical history and documenting changes.
- Ensure patient has 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week (24/7) access to care management services.
- Patient can not be in a nursing home, in-patient care, or other programs already paying for this patient and can only be paid to one provider per month.
EnableCCM is the most advanced Chronic Care Management (CCM) and Transition of Care (TCM) Solution on the market that integrates with EHRs that support APIs or CCDA file exchange, call center management software, video calling, and care monitoring, so that groups and hospitals easily manage chronic care and transition of care patients. Our system automates the import of patients that meet the CCM program criteria and allows customizable listed to be created to assign to nurses and care coordinators based on the best time to call patients. Our customizable templates allow Care Plans, mini-mental test, depression screening, ADLs and other clinical assessments to be easily performed and added to CCM clinical notes. Time and task logging makes it easy to track and bill for the different levels of CCM and TCM. Medications database with drug-to-drug and allergy interaction are built-in. Our custom rules engine generates wellness care tasks and decision support alerts. Our CCM integrates with call center telephone systems for efficient staff management and call logging. Our Care Plan assigns CareTask to patients and care coordinators and other CareTeam members that alert and track CareTasks, such as medications, vitals, exercise, diet, and so much more. Our Time Tracker tracks each task related to CCM and TCM and can log the information in the note. What makes us the best?
- Auto imports clinical data via CCDA, CareQuality, FHIR, custom API, HL7, or EDI
- Built on ONC Certified EHR system
- Custom call lists with best time to call sorting
- Tight integration to seamlessly exchange data
- Monthly compliance, functional assessment templates, Mental health, and many other assessment templates
- Custom care plans, templates and notes
- CCM Dashboard with Tasks, Open Monthly Notes, Time, CCM, TCM and other graphical charts
- Medications database with drug-to-drug and allergy notifications
- Routes calls to working staff or takes a message – HIPAA compliant
- Optional video call support for Televisit
- Optional care monitoring with vitals device tracking
- Built-in Wellness rules
- Automates claims processing and collections
- Simplifies the Chronic Care Management process by automatically generating one or more custom patient lists based on diagnosis and over 50 other criteria
- Tracks the best time to call patients and uses that information to organize the call list.
- Streamlines the updating of Care Plan, medications, problems and other clinical information without leaving the care list.
- Uses advanced templates and speech recognition to customize the note and Care Plan to automatically pull clinical information from one visit to the next so it can be updated.
- Logs patient calls and other tasks to make sure 20 minutes is spent each month and automatically adds the information to the note.
- Automatically bills CCM visits with a selection of order set or pulling from prior months CCM encounter.
- Exchanges clinical CDA data to send and receive patient data with other certified EHR.
- Alerts providers via task email or texts and displays them on a provider dashboard to easily know which patient charts to review.
- Inbound nurse management system routes calls to the on call nurses and eventually will take a message that is saved in the EHR and a text message is sent to alert someone to call the patient back.
- Patient and physician portal allows patient clinical information and notes to be shared with the Care Team and family members. Secure messaging and file attachments are also supported.
- Fax and call, text and email reminders are optional features.
- CCM/TCM can be used standalone or with the EHR and PMS modules. Each module is priced priced separately.
CCM Work Flow
Enablemyhealth Chronic Care Module provides a 5 step process to document chronic care:
- Patient signs a consent form to join the Chronic Care program, which also specifies their preferred call times.
- Patient data is imported from CCDA or API or other interfaces clinical summary files or billing data or is entered into Enablemyhealth.
- A chronic care list is generated from the patient clinical data using a custom rules engine that displays the list based on the preferred call times.
- With one click the patient chart is opened and call tasks are entered to track the 20 minutes each month.
- Patient is called and clinical information updated (patient note, current meds, problems, and care plan are updated).
- Optionally, billing codes are pulled in or selected and sent electronically.
- Conditionally, if the patient has a change in their status, then their physician is alerted.
- Care Hotline routes calls to staff scheduled to answer calls and will take a message if no one is available.
 CDC State of Aging and Health in America 2013e